One of the first decisions to make after you are involved in a car accident is whether to hire an attorney or attempt to settle the case with the insurance company on your own. In some cases you may think you do not need to hire an attorney and you can settle the case on your own. In other situations, an insurance company may tell you that you don’t need a lawyer and that the insurance company will take care of you. So how do you know what to do?
You may not need a lawyer after an accident when:
- You were not hurt but were taken to the emergency room to be checked out and never received any further medical treatment.
- You were sore after the accident but the soreness quickly went away.
- There was little or no property damage and little or no injury to you.
- You are no longer suffering any pain and the insurance company is offering to pay you what you think is a fair settlement.
These situations most likely do not call for attorney.
When You SHOULD STRONGLY Consider Hiring a Lawyer:
There are circumstances where it would be very hard for you to obtain fair compensation from an insurance company or trucking company after a car accident.
Examples where you should strongly consider hiring a lawyer:
- If you had Significant Injuries that require surgery after being admitted to the hospital.
- Injuries that include fractures or scarring.
- Medical Bills over $10,000.
- Injuries caused by a drunk driver where you will need a lawyer to obtain punitive damages.
- Injuries caused by a tractor trailer accident.
- Accidents where you were seriously injured and the insurance company is denying fault or trying to limit their insured’s fault.
Other Reasons for Hiring a St. Louis Car Accident Lawyer
1. The insurance company has one goal, to pay you as little money as possible. They may tell you they will treat you fairly, but their interests are the opposite of yours.
2. Insurance Companies have trained adjusters that negotiate claims all day long and know what tactics to use to pay you as little as possible.
3. Insurance companies have attorneys that are experienced and knowledgeable about the law and insurance claims. They know how to find ways not to pay claims or pay as little as possible. You need someone who is also experienced and knowledgeable on your side to give your case the best chance of success.
4. A St. Louis car accident attorney will also know how to address the following issues:
- What will a jury likely compensate you at trial?
- What medical liens are there and what bills or liens must be paid back?
- What deadlines must be met to keep you case from being barred by any applicable statute of limitations/?